Thursday, September 10, 2015

Everyday JOY


Gazing into the face of your newborn, finding your soul mate, watching the sunrise from a beautiful beach or receiving an award from your peers can spark feelings of joy in all of us. But those things don’t happen every day.

I’m discovering joy is available to us even on those regular, run of the mill, “don’t seem too special” days. What do I mean by joy? According to Dictionary.com:

“Joy – Noun: The emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation.”

Now I’m no expert, but I’d add that joy is subjective and found in one’s unique awareness and appreciation of the “something” mentioned in the definition above. Here’s what I mean.

In the last week, I’ve found joy – true delight, happiness and elation – in the following situations that may seem mundane to you:

  • Lunch with one of my old Reiki Master students who recently graduated college.
  • Biting into a sweet, ripe watermelon on Labor Day.
  • Watching my husband’s delight as he located keys that had been lost for over a year.
  • Slipping between soft new white cotton sheets at bedtime.
  • Trying a new organic recipe and having it turn out perfectly.
  • Figuring out how to use an app on my phone.
  • Finally filing papers that have been in a pile in my office for months.
  • Discovering a Seinfeld episode I never saw – or had forgotten. Either way, it was new to me!

I think it’s fantastic when life surprises us with those big, beautiful post-to-Facebook kinds of moments. These are to be treasured and deeply appreciated. For most people, these are rare.

I believe we’re offered opportunities for joy every day while we go about the business of living our lives. All we have to do is be open and receptive. Look for joy today, wherever you are.

You may not find a “new” Seinfeld episode, but something cool will show up.