Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Staying on Track


Staying on Track

I hate when that happens. You know when you spout some deep wisdom, a brilliant insight, a shining truth to someone…only to have your words come bite you in the you-know-what?

Yeah, that.

Today I was working with a client who is capable, focused and extremely successful. She has a lot going on. Most capable, focused, extremely successful people do. Her challenge was learning to move past tantalizing distractions and plow through necessary mundane tasks.

Oh, I had the answer. It was stunning in it’s simplicity and brilliance. I felt like a real smarty pants. But that feeling didn’t last long.

“When you’re evaluating these opportunities,” I told her, “ask yourself, does this bring me closer to, or further way from my goals?”

“WOW,” she said, “that makes it clear!”

“It really does,” I continued. “Ask yourself that same question when you’re caught up in specific actions and see if that makes a difference in your overall result.”

We included a spiritual perspective as part of our discussion and concluded the call on a definite high note. I felt great about her progress as I finished my notes and went on to my next task. 

A couple hours later, I took a break to have lunch and check the local news. Snow was predicted for the overnight hours and even though my commute would not be affected – I walk from my bedroom to my office on the bottom floor of my house – I was concerned. (I have a thing about snow...)

Next thing I know, it was nearly two hours later and I was sitting in front of the TV, still eating, mesmerized by a perky blonde journalist recounting the latest scuttlebutt in Washington. 

“Is this bringing me closer to, or further away from my goals?” I heard the voice in my head say.

“Oh, CRAP!” I thought (the exact phrase might have been softened here but you get the idea).

I quickly got up, turned off the TV, and got back to work…