Wednesday, February 11, 2015

OMG! I’m Looking at Greeting Cards ‘from the Cat!’ How Did THIS Happen?

So here I am, in the greeting card aisle, looking for a romantic card for my sweet husband and I spy the category (yes, it’s a category) “From the Cat.” I pick up a card. I read it. I love it. I buy it. WHAT?

I’ve always admired and been fascinated by animals but I’m not the type of person who has to have an animal as part of the family. I have had beautiful pets over the years and loved them but when they were gone, they were gone.

When I married my current husband in 2004 he actually came with an adult cat named Smokey. At the time my still-at-home teenage son and I thought it was a good selling point. We all loved, adored and spoiled dear Smokey until she took her last breath at age 17 in December 2010. We were truly devastated when she died and still miss her.

Over the next year after Smokey’s death, my adult kids tried to convince me that I “needed” another cat. Nope, not me. I’m fine thank you. I was busy with my intuitive coaching practice, taught weekend workshops and helped my siblings care for our elderly father. My schedule was chock full of “stuff” to do and I thought I needed “one more thing to care for” like I needed another ten pounds on my thighs.

As the months wore on, I saw my daughter married in October of 2011 and my son graduate from college in May 2012. By mid 2012 my dad had gone to live in an assisted living facility so the daily responsibilities for his care were over. Time to breathe a little…or so I thought.

The morning of Saturday, July 28, 2012 was a scorcher. Our area had suffered several 100 degree days and this was the same. As I sat comfortably in my family room watching a movie, I heard a weird little noise coming from the back deck. I looked up to see a tiny grey stripped kitten “knocking” on my glass door.

“Oh no,” I thought. ”You’re not going to get me with that cute little kitten face. Nope, not me, Sister!” I tried to turn back to watch my movie. I really tried. Really. I did. But it was soooo hot…

I got up and moved toward the door thinking the kitty would scamper away. That did not happen. I stared at the furry face through the glass muttering, “no, no, no…” all the while feeling my resolve start to melt. Damn.

To make a long story short, I have a cat. Or, I should say, a cat has ME, my husband, more toys than a typical spoiled two year old, a kitty pirate ship (yeah, a pirate ship), a cushy bed, organic food and a gallery of photos that have been texted to friends and family whether they wanted to see them or not.

Our house has a new sense of fun, play and love. Since we married a bit later in life, my husband and I never raised little kids together so Rory Grace is our first “child.” (We are learning to co-parent just in time for grandkids who we expect to arrive in the next few years.) Rory kisses us on the nose, jumps in bed to wake us each morning and gives us more unconditional love than I thought possible from an animal. And she’s just beautiful. I mean “model cat” beautiful. Check my Facebook page if you don’t believe me.

About the time Rory arrived, my dad started a painful decline and her loving presence made a difficult time a bit easier. After all, everything’s better with a nuzzle from a beautiful cat.

What a lesson Rory has taught me. I’ve come to understand the Universe offers the perfect gifts just when we need them. I was so afraid to have “one more thing to take care of” that I didn’t realize I was the one who needed a little extra love. And now I’m the woman buying greeting cards “from the cat.” I never saw that coming…