Anytime anything – ANYTHING – goes wrong and my buddies call me, they know the first question I’ll ask and they immediately go on the defensive.
“My three-month-old-car needs a new transmission. I can’t believe it, I’m so mad! I know what you’re going to say…”
“My mother-in-law is driving me nuts! I can’t take her endless chatter. I know what you’re going to say…”
“I work with morons! You wouldn’t believe how they run this business! They just don’t get it! I know what you’re going to say…”
Yeah, they know what I’m going to say. “Have you been meditating?”
I know. At first glance you may not see the connection. You may not understand how it relates to everything that happens to you. But it does.
How could meditation help in the examples above, you wonder? Here’s a short explanation from my book “How to Choose Love When You Just Want to Slap Somebody”:
- Feeling happier and more at peace
- Increased social skills and feeling of “connectedness”
- “Stress eating” is reduced or eliminated thus overall weight is reduced
- Reduced events of “impulse buying” due to calmer thought patterns
- Lowered blood pressure and heart rate
- Muscles feel more relaxed (some say they even appear younger once meditation drains stress from the face!)
- Increased brain function: improved memory and greater clarity
- Increased pain tolerance
- Increased creativity and problem solving
- Reduced overall stress (and reaction to specific stress triggers)
In what universe do you NOT want to be more peaceful, calm, happy and healthy? From that vantage point, life’s challenges are not only easier to understand, but it’s easier to see alternatives and navigate through the issue.
Does a meditation practice mean you can eliminate stress? No. It does mean you’re better equipped to handle whatever life brings your way. Life can be stressful. Meditation makes a positive difference in how you handle the stress.
After meditating for over 20 years, I can honestly say the quality of every aspect of my life has improved from this practice. I believe meditation is so fundamental in creating the foundation for a happy, healthy life that it’s the first thing I discuss with my coaching clients.
What about you? Are you or a loved one experiencing health issues? Work driving you crazy? Feel so frustrated you want to hit your head against a wall?
Let me ask you a question…have you been meditating?